Search Me

Search Me

Warning! There might be some politics in this post. Please skip reading it if you feel the same way I do about reading political things. (Yeah, I am writing it anyway, even though I probably wouldn't read it if someone else posted it. Good grief.)

This painting seems light and cheerful. It reminds me of spring. I have had a difficult time blogging about it in this last while, though,  due to the invasion of Ukraine. Somehow, it seems like it is too frothy. Like cotton candy to a starving person. 

But, though the colors seem cheery, there are also cuts through the paint. There are textures that come through and stand out. And there is red, for goodness sake. 

The shapes in the painting feel like a vortex that is pulling everything in, and that is how the Ukraine conflict has felt to me. Everything seems to be impacted by this war on the other side of the globe, and our own leaders seem to be eating cotton candy - blithely unaware of the significance of their lack of action. They seem to be playing with their favorite toys and ignoring truth and reality. It feels exasperating to me. 

texture view


11" x 14"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

I have heard glimmers of hope here and there. Could they be true? You never know, do you? It is on social media, so of course it must be true. After all, there are fact checkers... nevermind! 

Welp. I don't think I should blog with this sarcasm showing, huh? I mean, who would be interested in a pretty painting that is sarcastic about the leadership in our country and the veracity of social media? Hmm. 

Yet, I follow a Russian artist who posted a painting about war, and I considered (briefly) buying it. He used his art as a voice for his disapproval of the leadership and direction of his nation. Do people care about or buy paintings about serious things? Especially if they are paintings  that look frivolous? Maybe. My friend painted a monster looking thing in response to these days we live in, and it is playful but painful too. 

I guess all I can say is that, as a visual artist, my heart shows through in my paintings in one way or another. Sometimes the thoughts communicate fairly clearly, and sometimes they don't. It has been difficult seeing and hearing the small amount of news that I expose myself to, and it has reminded me of how very much I need my Heavenly Father, and His Word. 

Psalm 139:23-24 
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
And see if there be any hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way.

Comments