Lift Up Your Heads, O Gates

Lift Up Your Head, O Gates


In response to the invasion of Ukraine this past week, I felt the need to paint. Although the urge to get to the studio was very strong, I was unable to start the first day. Between other responsibilities, and not knowing which direction I wanted to go with the painting, I had to delay starting. I thought I knew the colors I wanted to use (not these colors, as it turns out!) and I had a prepared canvas ready, but the painting would not flow for me. 

12" x 12"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black

The next day, I started my Bible reading, intending to read Psalm 25, but I found myself in Psalm 24 instead. These verses impacted me strongly!


Psalm 24:7-10
Lift up your heads, O gates,
And be lifted up, O ancient doors,
That the King of glory may come in!
Who is the King of glory?
The Lord strong and mighty,
The Lord mighty in battle.
Lift up your heads, O gates,
And lift them up, O ancient doors,
That the King of glory may come in!
Who is this King of glory?
The Lord of hosts,
He is the King of glory. Selah.

In my mind I was hearing The Great Gate of Kiev, the magnificent finale to M. Mussorgsky's work Pictures at an Exhibition. This piece is grand and beautiful, and feels significant at this time of war. And the idea of the gates as represented in the Psalms caught my breath with the idea of the King of Glory, strong in battle, coming to the rescue of His people. 

I wonder what His plan is in this conflict. I have no doubt that His ultimate purpose will be met, but I recognize that it may not happen in a way that I like. I am sure that His people in every war up to this point in history have hoped for Him to come through metaphorical gates in splendor and rescue them, and the fact that He doesn't is hard to understand. But, as my son recently reminded me, if we could understand everything about GOD, He wouldn't be Who He says He is. Of these things I am sure. He is good, and sovereign and love. 

So, I pray for the nation of Ukraine. I pray for the people in Russia who hate this action by their leader. I pray for peace. I pray that God will bring about good from this horrible situation. Please pray with me. 

Comments