Chronicles


Chronicles


Some time ago, I dreamed about seeing a Lion as I was coming down a street on horseback. In my dream, I met and loved this Lion, and I knew he represented Jesus Christ to me. When I told my Beloved Husband about it, he asked me whether I thought the concept came from Scripture or from the writings of C. S. Lewis. I wasn't sure, but now I am confident that it was both. 
It was a powerful dream, and after searching for references in the Bible, I began painting this work. 

early progress photo

While the Lion was the spark that ignited my imagination, the inspiration for the painting changed and grew as I worked on it. For one thing, I noticed as I read my Bible that the concept of God being represented as a lion is not quite like what I had expected. All through the Old Testament, lions are feared and are used as an example of judgement. The only place I found that seemed a bit different was in Hosea, where God is the Champion and His people came to Him in fear. (Hosea 11) The New Testament was similar, but Jesus was called the Lion of the Tribe of Judah in the last book, Revelation 5. Overall, the picture of God as a Lion is of power, majesty, dominion and fearful reverence. 


On the other hand, in the Chronicles of Narnia, by C. S. Lewis, the lion is a Champion that is deeply loved, particularly by Lucy. In those stories, the allegorical reference linking the lion, Aslan, to Jesus Christ is clear. Though Aslan is terrifying, he is good. He is dangerous (particularly to the evil characters in the book), but also kind.  And the great lion of the story shows his great love for the children by giving his life for them. (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.) 

progress photo

As I often do when painting abstract paintings, I turned this painting over and over in the process of working on it. I was surprised to find at one point that what looked like the word lion in one direction looked like the word love when I turned the canvas over. (Can you see it here?) 

48" x 18" 
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.75” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black

Well, there is more to the inspiration behind this painting. I have found myself in the book of Job in my time spent reading my Bible each morning. It is a tough book for me because I struggle to understand why God allowed all of the speeches of Job's friends to be included in the text. Sometimes I understand it more than other times, to tell the truth. But recently I have finally gotten to the part of the book where God answers Job. And I LOVE that part of the book! I find it very interesting that God didn't answer all of the falseness and unkindness of the friends, and in fact, He didn't really answer Job's particular complaints either. He just gave Job a verbal picture of Who He Is. 

I particularly love Job 38. My imagination is stirred up with the descriptions of God's creation in this chapter. (And, by the way, He mentions lions in verses 39-40.) Chapters 38-41 are packed full with His creation, and it is awe-inspiring reading. 

Some of that awe and majesty is what I have hoped to communicate in this painting. I would love to hint at the constellations in space and the deep, deep ocean. I want you to imagine the places mentioned in 
Job 38:19-24
“Where is the way to the dwelling of light?
And darkness, where is its place,
That you may take it to its territory
And that you may discern the paths to its home?
“You know, for you were born then,
And the number of your days is great!
“Have you entered the storehouses of the snow,
Or have you seen the storehouses of the hail,
Which I have reserved for the time of distress,
For the day of war and battle?
“Where is the way that the light is divided,
Or the east wind scattered on the earth? 
I mean, can you imagine the lair of darkness or the storehouses of snow? How magnificent they must be! 


To try to express all of these things, I started out using a deep blue and and iridescent gold paint, thinking of majesty and power. In the curved focal point, you can see depths of sky or water or maybe the lair of a lion. The golden lines shooting all through the work remind me of God's omnipresence and His working all for the good of those who love Him. There is so much luscious texture here - I wish you could see it in person! I chose to work in such a way that the painting can be displayed horizontally or vertically. 


Comments