Sing Peace


Sing Peace

"In peace, I will both lie down and sleep (down and sleep)
In peace, I will both lie down and sleep (down and sleep)
For Thou alone O Lord doth make me dwell in safety
For Thou alone O Lord doth make me dwell in safety
So in peace, I will both lie down and sleep (down and sleep)"

When our kids, who are now 28 and 30, were preschoolers - maybe even toddlers - I wanted to help them to start learning verses from the Bible. Some verses had hand motions, some were just repeated over and over, and some were set to music. We knew a LOT of Bible verses set to music, but for this particular one, I wrote the tune, and still sing it to this day. 

Part of what has made this song stick with me, I think, is that the melody 'says' what the words and meaning say. The melody is gentle and rocks like a rocking chair. It is almost like a lullaby in some ways. When I first wrote it, it was a fairly simple melodic tune, but as my Beloved Husband and I would sing it to our babies, somehow or other the repeating phrase developed. (It is a kind of a counterpoint that underlies the original melody.)

22" x 30"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

Before I tell you too much about this work, take a look at the painting. What do you see in it? Does it tell part of your story? I would love to hear what you saw and felt before you read more of what was in my mind as I painted. 

Sing Peace began with a composition style that I occasionally use, but that takes a lot of work on my part to "get it right". The large overshadowing shape generally is designed to bring attention down to the smaller, intense focal point of the painting. In some respects, this style can communicate something ominous, and yet, the colors I chose to work with are somewhat playful. I worked, too, to cause the paint to flow in mostly controlled areas and directions. I love working with the grid, or framework that forms from these drips. 

To me, the heavy dark blue area reminds of the fears and struggles in the minds of my little ones and in the mind of their mom. The large magenta area on one side could be sweet and fun, or maybe hot and just passing through. The drips are some of the most poignant parts in this work, to my mind. I think of them as representing God's lovingkindnesses coming down from Him, the prayers going up to Him, and the activities of life that could either distract or draw attention to God, the loving Heavenly Father. And the focal point where bright white and strong color pull together, there is a cradled shape that reminds me that even now my dear grown children and my BH and I are in His care. We can both lie down and sleep, because He is holding us. 

Psalm 4:8
In peace I will both lie down and sleep,
For You alone, O Lord, make me to dwell in safety.

Comments