Don't Rock the Boat

Don't Rock the Boat

As part of my painting studies in preparation for a large work, I painted this small work on paper yesterday. I was intrigued to see that, as happens so often, some of the things I have been thinking about showed up in the work. I think if I had to put the theme into words, it would be peace in the middle of trouble. 

The composition of this piece might be called an "all over" composition, which can indicate a scattered focus. The blue colors suggest motion and the metallic golds remind me of nautical themes and maybe even the mast of a boat. 

11" x 14"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame


Two stories about Jesus and stormy seas that that are told in the Gospels are showing up here, both in my subconscious processing of ideas, and in this image that sneaked up on me, illustrating the same thing. One of the stories is Jesus calming the storm, Matthew 8, Mark 4, and Luke 8. The other is Jesus (and Peter) walking on the water, Matthew 14, Mark 6, and John 6. 

I love the story of Jesus calming the storm. There is something about the Creator and LORD of everything sleeping in a boat, and then telling the storm to hush up that comforts my soul! Mark 4:37-39 And a fierce gale of wind developed, and the waves were breaking over the boat so much that the boat was already filling with water. And yet Jesus Himself was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?” And He got up and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Hush, be still.” And the wind died down and it became perfectly calm. 

Jesus' disciples, professional fishermen, were unable to manage their boat in this fearsome storm. They were in very real danger, and everything around them seemed threatening. And Jesus calmed the storm. 

In the second story, Jesus had been teaching a crowd near the sea. He felt compassion for them and saw them as sheep without a shepherd. He worked a miracle in order to feed these hungry people, and He taught them in order to feed their hungry souls. I find it poetic, in a way, to see how He felt toward them as He was teaching them there on the seaside. I wonder if the restless, roiling waters reminded Him of  the unsettled, troubled people.

After teaching and feeding the crowd, Jesus sent His disciples on ahead in their boat, and they encountered contrary winds and waves that were battering their boat. (Remember? They were professionals when it comes to being on the water.) They were really struggling in the middle of the night, trying to get to the opposite shore, when Jesus came walking by them on the water! Jesus invited Peter to walk on the water to Him, and Peter started out, but began to sink and became afraid.

When talking about Jesus and Peter walking on the water, my daughter explained that to the people of that day, the sea was seen as a very real danger. The water was not an appealing landscape feature to them, but a picture of trouble. I have noticed this many times in the Old Testament when storms have been described in poetic language, or when the deeps are mentioned in books like Job, Jonah, and the Psalms. 

Here is what I have found to be so comforting in these stories. In both cases, Jesus is the solution. He is the one who offers peace in trouble. In one case, Jesus calms the storm, and in the other He calms the heart of His followers. Mark 6:50 for they all saw Him and were terrified. But immediately He spoke with them and said to them, “Take courage; it is I, do not be afraid.” And in both cases, their response was to worship Him. 

In the stormy times in which I find myself, I hope He will both calm the storm, and calm the heart of His follower (me). And I will worship Him. 

Comments