Still Talking

Still Talking

 This week I started attending an online class for Christian artists. It is interactive, and I have not participated in this kind of event before. Yesterday, about two hours before the first event started, I received a call from my Beloved Husband inviting me to accompany him on a delivery, and after only a moment's pause, I accepted (with delight! I love to ride with him when he makes deliveries!)

I brought my phone and charger, and attended the class via phone while on the road. I may have been the tiniest bit distracted now and then... 

6" x 6"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

There was so much to take in! First, my being with my Beloved Husband, but having the responsibility to pay attention to my phone was so distracting. Then, seeing the teeny, tiny face of the speaker in the corner of the picture on my phone, while commenting and interactive notes were happening - well, I am over 50 years old, and that was just a lot for me! (I am sure many of my over-50 readers could have managed with no problem, but my senses were a bit overloaded!)

The class assignment for today was to post a new work of art in response to the presentation yesterday, and Still Talking is the work I did. One of the things that made an impression on me was a statement that "saying yes" to things that are outside of what I am called to is "saying no" to my priority calling. I found it so very interesting that my calling to be a wife (riding with my BH) was conflicting with my call to art, which is also a high priority to me. 

Today my Bible reading took me to Matthew 17, and here is one of the sections that was especially significant to me. 
Matthew 17:5-7  While [Peter] was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said:
This is My beloved Son.
I take delight in Him.
Listen to Him!
When the disciples heard it, they fell facedown and were terrified. Then Jesus came up, touched them, and said, “Get up; don’t be afraid.”

In this passage, Peter was talking excitedly, full of plans to celebrate Jesus' fame and make an impact, when GOD interrupted him. 

I am not sure whether the connection is clear to you from here, but I want to make sure that I am listening to GOD first, and taking my priorities from Him. I want to celebrate and make an impact for Him - yes - but HIS way. I don't want to be Still Talking when I need to be Listening to Him. 

Comments