One Heart, 2019 - another look

One Heart, 2019
 You might have noticed how little I have been active online lately. Though I am posting some (mostly sharing from Instagram or my website) I am not reading or interacting with friends on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. And there is a good reason for this - I had to change my focus! 

As some of you may know, I have a physical condition that responds very badly to stress. Actually, my guess would be that a LOT of people have some kind of physical ailment that limits productivity or comfort, and that stress makes MOST people worse! So I am with you all in this area. I was noticing increasing symptoms and, though these symptoms can come out of nowhere, I was also emotionally responding to the stress. 

10.5" x 14"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

Today I was reading in the New Testament, Matthew 14. I felt empathy for Jesus, who went out in a boat to be alone when He heard about His relative, John the Baptist, having been beheaded. When He came ashore, according to this chapter, He felt compassion on the crowds of people and healed and fed them. After spending more time in prayer, He walked on the water to where His disciples were crossing against the wind. Peter, His disciple, showed exuberant faith by walking toward Jesus on the water, until Peter looked around at the atmospheric conditions. Then, he began to sink, and cried out to Jesus to save him. (Read this story in Matthew 14:22-33

One Heart, detail

Here is my point. I have been looking around WAY too much at the "atmospheric conditions" in our nation and in our world, and it has become increasingly difficult to keep my eyes on Jesus. Even though I had already curtailed my Social Media intake to some degree, I was still getting the impact of a lot of the news and people's reactions to it. 

I have turned my attention to other media, including an artist masterclass (which, unfortunately for me, is hosted on Facebook! Good grief!) and carefully chosen YouTube videos. AND I have listened to my music a lot more, and am trying to catch up on podcasts that I am way behind on. It has been a good transition, and I have found that I am generally a lot more cheerful on a daily basis. 



More significantly, though, my eyes are more intentionally and more regularly turned toward my Savior. Each of my chosen media includes a lot more Scripture and a lot more encouragement toward Him. What a difference this has made in my life (and in the life of my Beloved Husband!) 

Matthew 14:27-31  But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.” And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

Comments