Restores My Soul, 2018 and a memorial

Restores My Soul

Today I am sharing a painting I originally released in 2018. I chose to reshare this painting today for many reasons, one of which is that it seems to go with these memories that I wrote about my Uncle Steve about a week ago. 

24" x 30"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas


Right now I am listening to Uncle Steve sing How Lovely Are Thy Dwellings – Psalm 84. When I was a child, my Aunt Barb and Uncle Steve recorded a couple of albums. Several years ago, my mother took her vinyl records to someone who would put these songs on CDs so that she could share them with my sister and brother and me. While this copy is not perfect, it still suffices to let me hear his voice again, though he is now face to face with Jesus. 

A few weeks ago, I received a phone call from my cousin, David. His news was not pleasant – Uncle Steve had been put on hospice. I have been surprised at the level of grief I have felt with this loss. I did not see much of my uncle these last years, and did not communicate often either. But I have sorrowed over his home-going. 

Uncle Steve always seemed so tall, and so – noble, I guess I would say. Even as a child, I remember loving his voice, and his musical laugh. I suppose I was a bit intimidated by him, and I certainly did not understand his sense of humor (which delighted me as an adult) or his dignified demeanor. But I knew that my dad loved him, and that my parents enjoyed spending time with Aunt Barb (Dad’s sister) and Uncle Steve. And he could make Dad laugh.


“Boodle” was the name he called Aunt Barb, and I never recognized (as a child) how that must have struck those who knew her. (She was an influential, powerful, and also lovely woman.) He loved my four cousins and passed on much of his music, knowledge, and character to them. He loved his GOD in a personal and active way. After Aunt Barb followed my dad to heaven, Uncle Steve found and married Jennifer, who he loved very much. 

When he and Jennifer came to the surprise birthday party we had for my mom’s 80th birthday, Uncle Steve is the one who wrote and shared memories that made the whole occasion into a distinguished celebration. He shared with intelligence, creativity, and kindness. 

There was a story that Uncle Steve told one time, about trying to rid his yard of moles. He told of trying so many things, and then ‘resorting’ to prayer, and seeing God’s answer in the birds of prey that showed up and began feasting on the moles. I loved this example of seeing God through his eyes. Another time, he interacted with me about Holy Sonnet 14 by John Donne, saying that my sharing that poem had been especially meaningful to him. Again, he had opened a window for me to see his character and his love for his God. These are precious memories to me. 



Here is Psalm 84 from a paraphrase of the Bible, the Message:

Psalm 84
What a beautiful home, God-of-the-Angel-Armies!
    I’ve always longed to live in a place like this,
Always dreamed of a room in your house,
    where I could sing for joy to God-alive!

Birds find nooks and crannies in your house,
    sparrows and swallows make nests there.
They lay their eggs and raise their young,
    singing their songs in the place where we worship.
God-of-the-Angel-Armies! King! God!
    How blessed they are to live and sing there!

 And how blessed all those in whom you live,
    whose lives become roads you travel;
They wind through lonesome valleys, come upon brooks,
    discover cool springs and pools brimming with rain!
God-traveled, these roads curve up the mountain, and
    at the last turn—Zion! God in full view!

God-of-the-Angel-Armies, listen:
    O God of Jacob, open your ears—I’m praying!
Look at our shields, glistening in the sun,
    our faces, shining with your gracious anointing.

One day spent in your house, this beautiful place of worship,
    beats thousands spent on Greek island beaches.
I’d rather scrub floors in the house of my God
    than be honored as a guest in the palace of sin.
All sunshine and sovereign is God,
    generous in gifts and glory.
He doesn’t scrimp with his traveling companions.
    It’s smooth sailing all the way with God-of-the-Angel-Armies.

As everyone knows, 2020 has been a year of difficulty and uncertainty. On Christmas Eve, my uncle saw the last of the pandemic and social upheaval. He finished dealing with pain and loss and sorrow. He has opened his eyes into perfect love – into REAL life. 

Comments