Come Before Winter


Come Before Winter

Before the Christmas break, I was spending some time walking in our woods. As 2020 was winding down, I was so aware of all of the difficult things happening. Some things that came about last year seem to be irreparable - like when the crew came to tile our pasture and took down huge sections of our fencerow trees. You can rebuild a fence, and plant more trees, but not 150 year old trees. Oh, I cried when I saw that! 

Our country, too, seems to be suffering uprooting and gutting that will not be able to be rebuilt. You can rebuild boundaries, and plant new funding and initiatives, but not 150 year old family businesses and not historical statues and structures and beautiful architecture. And not some friendships and family relationships. 

As I walked, I told my Heavenly Father about all that was breaking my heart. My view of our woods was bleak, too, with all of the leafless trees that clearly showed the disease and rot in some of the oldest ones. 

Then, I thought HE said to me, "These trees are not dead - they are dormant. At the right time, in the spring, leaves will sprout, and some of the pests will have been frozen out." I also remembered that in so many places in the Bible, GOD waited until it was too late before HE acted, like Abraham and Elizabeth having a son at ages 100 and 90, and like Lazarus being in the tomb for 3 days before Jesus arrived. 

These thoughts gave me hope. 

7" x 5" mounted on 10" x 5" painted substrate
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame


Between our home and town, there is a BEAUTIFUL old tree that I see almost every time I pass it. Its trunk is probably at least 15 feet in diameter, and its branches stretch out about a mile in every direction. My Beloved Husband stopped the car there a couple of weeks ago just so I could take a few reference photos of it, and now it has become a symbol of my faith that GOD can make all things new. 

Isaiah 55:8-9 
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord.
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways
And My thoughts than your thoughts."

Romans 8:28
"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."

Revelation 21:4-5 
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” 

I am hoping you (and we) all have a beautiful, hopeful, growing New Year. Happy 2021!

Shown mounted and framed 




Comments