Prayers & Promises

Prayer. Petition. Peace. These have been the starting point for today's painting, which I am delighted to share! For months now, I have had a paper hanging on my studio wall, right next to my easel. "Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:5 - 7 Several of these phrases have been important to me during these trying times. 

Recently I have begun "activating my canvas" with words of hope (as you might have seen if you follow me on social media). A blank white canvas can be paralyzing to face, so many artists have different techniques for conquering that scary beast. Though I have used many different things to start getting a painting on the surface, I am sure loving using Bible phrases and verses as starting points. It seems like it helps me stay focused, and spurs me on to next steps. Still, at times I hit a wall where I cannot see what comes next! 

36" x 36"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas

The underpainting on this work, starting with that first layer of words and color, became complex and deeply layered. At the top of the canvas, it said The LORD Is Near, and further down were the words prayer, peace, beyond comprehension. I also wrote out some huge, painful prayer requests to the Lord Who is near. The colors in the underlayers were changing and deepening and becoming complex and difficult to work with - yes, my heart was putting itself on my canvas. And because the colors and layers had become intense, I was stumped as to what my next step was. 

Well, yesterday I knew what to do. I found that not only was I beginning to experience that peace beyond comprehension where my prayers were concerned, but I knew how to "say it" on the canvas. Part of the answer to the painting dilemma came by looking out of my fabulous studio window (the window was a gift from my Beloved Husband for my birthday last year - such a gift!). As I looked out, I saw the yellow and green grasses of the autumn and thought about the harvest time that we are experiencing in Northern Indiana. I saw the calming horizontal lines of color and the upward reaching grasses. I saw peace and petition represented in the landscape, and wanted to communicate it with this work. 

Wow, I love how this painting turned out! I love the whole process, and the end result. I love the way hope is expressed, even in showing anxiety being covered in prayer and peace. Showing that the Lord is near. I really love how the color from the struggle shows through, but serves to make the painting more beautiful. 




Comments