Need a Little Christmas

Need a Little Christmas

"For we need a little Christmas
Right this very minute
Candles in the window
Carols at the spinet..."

It will be a few days yet before we get our Christmas tree and decorations out, but I have to admit, I am feeling Christmas early this year, like so many seem to be. (Don't tell my Beloved Husband!) I have put Christmas music on my playlist and love seeing the Christmas lights already as we are out driving in the evening. 

I kind of wonder what exactly it is that draws me to Christmas this year. It is different than most years for me, in that I am more interested in a 'traditional' Christmas than usual. I generally prefer unusual songs, decorations, and would rather wait a little longer before decorating and hearing the music of the season, but this year almost everything seems to remind me of Christmas.  I have noticed I see even two-story white farmhouses and country roads as Christmas-y and I feel an unfamiliar tug in my emotions. 

NLA
6" x 6"
Painted with the finest quality acrylic heavy-body paint on hand-made, prepared wood panel
Ready to frame

To tell the truth, I think that last year's Christmas emphasis for me has something to say to my feelings this year (along with the obvious - its 2020!) Last year, I was so very aware of mankind's need for a Savior. (See more about that in this blog post from last year.) I remember the impact of a piece of music referenced in that blog post, as well as a somewhat disturbing work of art showing a nativity scene with a dragon in it. (Click here to see this print by Fritz Eichenberg called Christmas 1954.


This year, I feel the need for comfort and joy - for peace on earth. And underlying that longing is the pull toward the Savior born on Christmas day. I guess we all are recognizing the need for Him this year. So yes, we Need a Little Christmas this year!

Luke 2:14  (ESV) “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”


Comments