You Are Cordially Invited


You Are Cordially Invited

"Can you do that again?" This morning a young man came to my studio to do a short video production for use with one of my paintings in an upcoming exhibit. Because of the lack of an in-person reception, the hosts are inviting artists to submit short videos telling about their work and inspiration for their pieces. To be perfectly honest, I was a little nervous to  invite my friends' son to use his expertise in helping me make my video. 

Before we started with the filming, I had some help with content from another young man - my son who is here visiting! What a treat! I loved having his help in honing my thoughts and language in what I wanted to say. 

One of the words that we found important was "invite". As an artist, it is important to me to invite viewers to my work, and through it to hope, joy, and beauty.  Artists sometimes say that it is difficult to "put myself out there" and that sharing paintings is putting "part of myself" on display for criticism and comment. I completely agree - it can be intimidating. Yet I do want to invite observers in for a closer look. I want you to feel welcome to look, to enjoy, to respond, to ask questions of my work.

6" x 6"
Painted with the finest quality acrylic heavy-body paint on hand-made, prepared wood panel
Ready to frame


In my Bible reading this morning, I read about the Old Testament king Hezekiah at a time when he and his nation were in serious, immanent danger. Isaiah 37:14-15 "Hezekiah took the letter from the messengers, read it, then went up to the Lord’s temple and spread it out before the Lord. Then Hezekiah prayed to the Lord:" I have been considering the principle that is presented here - Hezekiah invited GOD to the situation at hand. And here is God's response: Isaiah 37:21-22 ...“The Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Because you prayed to Me about Sennacherib king of Assyria, this is the word the Lord has spoken against him"  - and GOD rescued Hezekiah and his nation. 

Though it was not comfortable or normal to have people in my studio as I painted, my regular practice and training helped bring about a painting I can be happy about. I want to use this painting, which I finished under the camera's watchful eye, as a reminder to myself to invite GOD into my own situations - to spread my "letter" before Him and watch for His response. 

Comments