Joy is the Flag Flown High

Joy is the Flag Flown High
This is almost a party in paint! Just seeing this painting sitting in my home makes me think of a celebration, and it brings cheer. A children's song is playing over and over in my mind (and I keep finding myself singing it) as I work on releasing this painting. We learned it when my kids were young, and I can almost see Arly leading the Sunday School children in singing it, marching around the hall waving paper flags. 

Bright, warm colors punctuated with cool tones, texture, and sparkle make me think of a festival. How about you?

20" x 16"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame



Joy is the Flag Flown High (click to hear a version of the song on YouTube)
Joy is the flag flown high from the castle of my heart
from the castle of my heart
from the castle of my heart
Joy is the flag flown high from the castle of my heart
When the king is in residence there

Let it fly in the sky, let the whole world know
let the whole world know
let the whole world know
Let it fly in the sky, let the whole world know
That the king is in residence there!
by Frank McConnell

My understanding is that, at least in some kingdoms, the flags are flown at the palace or castle or residence only when the monarch is present. I love this idea! I love how it ties in with the concept of joy (or love, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, or self-control, Galatians 5:22-23) being an evidence of the presence of God's presence in the life of His children. 

Two verses in particular have been coming to mind as I have thought about this idea. One is a favorite of my mother's, 
Zephaniah 3:17 
"Yahweh your God is among you, a warrior who saves.
He will rejoice over you with gladness.
He will bring you quietness with His love.
He will delight in you with shouts of joy.”
I love how this reading includes God's presence and his joy. It is absolutely astounding to me that He is delighted in me as His child and I bring Him joy. 

Another fitting Bible passage is 
Psalm 20
May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble!
    May the name of the God of Jacob protect you!
May he send you help from the sanctuary
    and give you support from Zion!
May he remember all your offerings
    and regard with favor your burnt sacrifices! Selah
May he grant you your heart's desire
    and fulfill all your plans!
May we shout for joy over your salvation,
    and in the name of our God set up our banners!
May the Lord fulfill all your petitions!
Now I know that the Lord saves his anointed;
    he will answer him from his holy heaven
    with the saving might of his right hand.
Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
    but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
They collapse and fall,
    but we rise and stand upright.
O Lord, save the king!
    May he answer us when we call.

As usual, I wish you could see the brilliant colors and textures in this piece, but maybe you will just have to come and see it in person one of these days! 

Comments