And David Danced

Woo-hoo! Last weekend I received new paint in the mail! It is just what I think I need to finish a large work on my easel, but now that I have the paint, I am just a bit afraid to use it. The large canvas on my easel is one that I have been working on for a long time - more than a month. It has gone through many changes and layers, and I really like its current stage, though it is definitely not finished. When a painting hits this point - especially a large painting- it is scary to take the next step, because I really don't want to 'lose' it.  

11" x 14"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame
Click here to view or purchase via my website.

King David, of Old Testament fame, has been the subject of my reading lately. Man, I would love to meet this guy! I am delighted with the way he is always seeking God, whether he is in need of help, or joyful, or overwhelmed and thoughtful. He seems to have had an "artist's soul", and in 1 Samuel 13:14 and Acts 13:22 in the Bible, David is called a man who is after God's heart.  

In the section about recovering the Ark of God,  an exuberant and excited David was celebrating publicly and joyously. I love that the presence of God could make him forget his own concerns and dignity, and I would like to be like that too. 



2 Samuel 6:14  And David danced before the Lord with all his might. And David was wearing a linen ephod.  

2 Samuel 6:21-22 "... It was before the Lord, who chose me above your father and above all his house, to appoint me as prince over Israel, the people of the Lord—and I will celebrate before the Lord. I will make myself yet more contemptible than this... "

So back to my new paint... I decided to try it out on some other substrates in my studio, and as I worked with them, I thought they would be great to help me express David's whirling dance. These new paints are interference colors - paints that show up very differently on different backgrounds and in different lighting. My hope here is to share the light and the sparkle, whether in the face of 'unprecedented' circumstances or in dark or bright times.



"I will celebrate before the Lord."


Comments