Paintings about the Inklings - Owen Barfield

Painting based on The Silver Trumpet
Oh, this has been so much fun! As I mentioned in the previous two posts, I have recently started following a gallery on line who is planning an exhibit based on the Inklings, a group of writers including Owen Barfield.  As I read more about the Inklings, I found that they were especially interested in works of fiction as a means to communicate truth. Armed with that thought, I chose to begin several paintings based on works of fiction by Inklings authors. 

For this third painting, I chose a children's book by Barfield called The Silver Trumpet, a book that I believe is, sadly, out of print. But I downloaded a copy to my computer and read it. Oh my goodness, what fun! The story is a scramble of familiar and absurd, connected and unforeseen, simple and erudite. Some twists of the plot seem to be something that should have been edited out, but some turns of phrase are pure delight! For example, almost immediately we are introduced to a new nobleman chosen by the king to tell the twin princesses apart, since they are so alike most cannot keep them straight. The title for this position is "The Lord High Teller of the Other from Which". (He later changes his name to Lord Tellywich.) There is a group of princesses who have been "banished" from their countries for disobeying regulations. They are called the Amalgamated Princesses! Ha! Sometimes in the story, the words are printed in a pattern to bring to mind the sounds of the silver trumpet. 

Since the story seems so disjointed and scattered at times, I chose to use a composition which seems to be "all over the place". I used some scribbles and accentuated the bright colors with children's literature in mind. I was concerned about making this design work, since my study for the work was pretty much a complete failure! (I have already started painting over it!) But I am happy with this painting, and I love how the whole group looks together. This project has been so enjoyable, and I have found a new story that is ridiculously entertaining. I am sorry to be done - maybe I will have to find more projects like this! 

10" x 10" image on 11" x 14" paper
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame


Click here to view or purchase on my website.

Comments

Post a Comment