Whatever It Takes

"Would you pray about that?" a woman in our church service asked my Beloved Husband as he finished leading songs. She had just heard about a serious accident that injured a man who is known by many in our congregation. His injuries are life-threatening, and even if he recovers, his life will never be the same. 

This morning brought him to mind again as I read an excerpt from a C. S. Lewis book, Mere Christianity. "But if you do not push Me away, understand that I am going to see this job through. Whatever suffering it may cost you in your earthly life... whatever it costs Me, I will never rest, nor let you rest, until you are literally perfect... 
And yet... this Helper who will, in the long run, be satisfied with nothing less than absolute perfection, will also be delighted with the first feeble, stumbling effort you make tomorrow to do the simplest duty. As a great Christian writer (George MacDonald) pointed out, every father is pleased at the baby's first attempt to walk: no father would be satisfied with anything less than a firm, free, manly walk in a grown-up son. In the same way, he said, 'God is easy to please, but hard to satisfy.' " 


24" x 36"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on gallery wrapped canvas, edges painted brown, ready to hang

Click here to purchase via my website.

But it is not only through the difficult things that HE works to bring about the very best for us. Our adult kids are both living, working and studying in grad schools, and we are delighted with the growth and godliness we see in them. They are both finding their own stride in walking with GOD, and they bring us so much joy! 

And today is my mother's birthday. Last week my brother and I got to visit with her for the week, and we spent time doing music and enjoying many things we don't get to do often. And Mom and I talked several times about how our lives are full of blessing from the Lord. 

Brownish-orange, copper, and deep turquoise are the main colors in this work. The feel of the painting as a whole is kind of ethereal or almost other worldly. It seems almost familiar, and yet a little dangerous, maybe. It reminds me of my walk with GOD, as HE makes me (eventually) perfect. 

And it reminds me of another quote by Lewis: “Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.” 
― C.S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe


I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6 HCSB

Comments

  1. That quote from CS Lewis is one of my favorites! I also love orange/copper and turq. blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! (I just found notifications for several comments. I appreciate your encouragement so much!)

      Delete

Post a Comment