Substance of Things Hoped For

Substance of Things Hoped For
This painting has been on the easel for quite a while, and I have been working on it almost every day. It is experimental, as many of my paintings are, and I am liking some of the surprising nuances I get with it. I am including two photos, because I have been having such a tough time getting both the color and the focus at the same time. So, of course, my choice for the first post is the accurate color choice! 


36" x 36"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas

Click here to purchase from my website. 

The composition of this piece came from watching undulating shadows on our family room wall during the night. It was very difficult to see what caused the shapes, and it was difficult to capture the feeling of it, but it was beautiful to me, and comforting at the same time. I have revisited that spot across from our couch several nights now, and the shapes are still there, though I cannot see them if I have had the lights on. They show best when all around is dark. 

Substance - better focus

The title comes from a verse in the New Testament book of Hebrews that is describing faith. Here is the King James version of the verse: Hebrews 11:1 (KJV) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Faith also shows best when all around is dark. Though I cannot exactly put into words how this fits together, this painting is very much an expression of faith. I hope you can see it too. 

Comments

Post a Comment