Here I Go Again

Here I Go Again
Though the story of this work may not seem remarkable to you, the construction of this painting made an impact on me, more than my paintings often do. It actually started life (so to speak) as an experimental portrait of my daughter. In it I used a photo reference, but no 'aids'. Just paint and brushes. I liked it, and saw her in it, but it was at a very uncomfortable state between expressionism and abstraction which definitely did not work for a portrait! Still, it was nearly impossible to spread paint over that dear face! 

On the other hand, I knew where this painting was going. It was actually inspired by a song (My Redeemer by Matthew Ward ) and my own painting called Gold II . And it was fitting, in an odd way, to hide my daughter's face under the glory of the new painting. The idea of being covered - made beautiful - by My Redeemer was continually playing in my mind as I painted. I just wish I could let you see a glimpse of the beauty and delight I 'saw'. 

SOLD
20" x 20" acrylic on deep canvas, painted edges 

The painting is almost all earth tones - layer after layer, texture upon texture. There is some iridescent gold among the layers, but it is difficult to see. In this painting, earth tones are all of the things that occupy me daily. The gold represents the beauty and glory of my Redeemer, and His covering me - hiding me - in His own beauty and righteousness. 

Colossians 3:1-4 (English Standard Version)
3 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. 3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

Isaiah 61:10 (HCSB)
I greatly rejoice in the Lord,
I exult in my God;
for He has clothed me with the garments of salvation
and wrapped me in a robe of righteousness,
as a groom wears a turban
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

Comments