Winter Wheat

Winter Wheat
On the road to Fort Wayne, right along the four lane highway, there is a lovely old farm. I can't tell for sure, but it looks to me like no one lives there any more. I try very hard to see it every time I drive by, and I enjoy seeing the seasonal changes in the hilly fields that lead up to the two old houses. Probably my favorite time of year is when the winter wheat is ready to harvest. Last year (I think it was last year) I finally decided to photograph the farm, which is quite a challenge on such a busy road, but when I got there, the view was obliterated by the smoke from the extensive wild fires that hung in the air. Do you remember how that smoke covered so much of the Midwest last year?

$350.00 plus shipping and handling
16" x 12"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black

I loved working on this painting! I loved looking at the photos to try to work out a composition, drawing some designs for it and learning a lot about the nuances of the scene, and planning color choices. I also loved changing color and repainting areas to work out better together. It is almost entirely a palette knife painting, with just a few places where I had to resort to a brush to get some details the way I wanted them. 

Do not be surprised if you see this farm showing up in a completely different style painting from me. As I said, I have admired this place for a long time, and I have other, better photos to work from and lots of ideas of different ways to paint landscapes! But isn't this a great scene to work from?

Comments