Wild Blue Yonder

Wild Blue Yonder
2019 was the year we finally decided to make a family trip to Alaska, delivering a new RV to a business in Anchorage. Both of our adult kids took time off from work and arranged to meet us as we picked up the new vehicle, loaded up, and started driving to meet the Alaska highway and to explore a few places along the way to Anchorage. From finding and fixing things that weren't working on the first day of travel through the flight home, it was an unforgettable trip for many reasons. This painting is based on photos taken on that trip. 

$215.00 plus shipping and handling
12" x 9"
Painted with the finest quality acrylic heavy-body paint on panel
Ready to frame

Just last week my Beloved Husband and I met friends for a meal, and my friend told me about a TV series that she has been watching called Landscape Artist of the Year. It is a British show and several episodes are available for streaming. Well, I started the first one as I was on the treadmill, and I have become hooked on this series! I wish I could say it has helped me spend more time on the treadmill, but I am afraid that is not the case. But I have spent more time in the studio painting, between episodes. Some new experimentation has been showing up in some of my work. I love trying new methods and techniques to see whether they fit with my style and vision. 

I wanted this painting to express some of the things I feel when I look back at our trip to Alaska that year. For me, it expresses adventure and sadness; cold, separation and intense togetherness (with four adults packed into a small RV!); mystery and accomplishment and immensity. As usual, the words don't say enough, and I hope the painting says more. 

An older song comes to mind with this one, called The Great Adventure by Steven Curtis Chapman.  These lyrics in the chorus felt particularly apt:
...
Through the wild blue yonder of God's Amazing grace
Let's follow our leader into the Glorious unknown
This is the life like no other
This is The Great Adventure
....

Hebrews 13:6
Therefore, we may boldly say:
The Lord is my helper;
I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?

Comments