Upright ACEO

Upright ACEO

My large painting has gotten into the always-happens-but-never-expected stage of being just hideous. It makes me really work to get something pleasant from it. As usual, I decided to do the next layer, thinking, "Well, I can always paint over the entire thing..." At this point, I have not decided the next step in trying to redeem it. My Beloved Husband said something like, "You love this stage, right?" Well. No. And also yes. It is so difficult! Once it has resolved into either a keeper or thrower, then I realize that I liked it... but not mid-battle like this!

$25.00, includes shipping and handling
3.5" x 2.5" (traditional ACEO size)
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Can be framed
Contact me to purchase or for more information

But, I am also working on several paintings at once, as I usually do. And since I have had the privilege of walking outside in gorgeous spring weather the last couple of days, this tiny ACEO almost painted itself today. What I mean by that is, I have been seeing such enthralling textures and patterns in the not yet colorful spring, and they are inspiring my work. I have particularly been drawn to the large areas of cattails for the repeated patterns - mostly vertical at the top, but very complex near the ground. And all the same shape. Straight lines. So fascinating! (I nearly knocked another walker off the boardwalk by backing into them as I took a photo of the cattails. They seemed to think I was nuts. Ha! Maybe they were right!)


To me, a vertical composition like this one strongly reminds me of lifting my eyes, metaphorically speaking. For me, the combination of getting to walk in a beautiful place, seeing straight, upright shapes, and seeing in that a vertical composition for a painting is very fulfilling. I don't really know how to put words to it in a way that explains it if you haven't felt something like this too. But it is SO cool! It makes me feel like my soul is bigger on the inside of me than I am on the outside. (Do YOU think I am nuts now? You might be right too!)

Maybe this Psalm will give you a little bit of what I am thinking and feeling:

Psalm 121
I lift my eyes toward the mountains.
Where will my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not allow your foot to slip;
your Protector will not slumber.
Indeed, the Protector of Israel
does not slumber or sleep.

The Lord protects you;
the Lord is a shelter right by your side.
The sun will not strike you by day
or the moon by night.

The Lord will protect you from all harm;
He will protect your life.
The Lord will protect your coming and going
both now and forever.

Comments