Long Enough

Long Enough
 This time, I knew the title before the paint ever touched the canvas. Such a rare circumstance! I usually find the title to be one of the toughest parts of the painting, but not so this time. 

Deuteronomy 1:6 “The Lord our God spoke to us at Horeb, saying, ‘You have stayed long enough at this mountain.

Deuteronomy 2:2 And the Lord spoke to me, saying, ‘You have circled this mountain long enough. Now turn north,

These verses caught my eye as I read through the book of Deuteronomy in my daily Bible reading time, and I just kept coming back to them. It must have been an inexpressible relief to Moses and to Israel to be told "it's been long enough." It meant the price was paid, the time was up, the promises had been kept. 

$1800.00 plus shipping and handling
40" x 30"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black

If you look, you may be able to see a mountainous landscape, a map, a story in this painting. But part of what makes it special to me is the complex depth of color, and the strong texture. The deep browns are not colors that I use a lot, and mixing the tones to keep the brown sections feeling active kept me focused and concentrating. There is so much energy in this piece, and a lot to discover with closer scrutiny. 

Long Enough feels like a very emotional painting to me. I would guess it is partly because of the emotions I experienced while I painted, but it also just feels... something. I don't have words to explain. Yesterday while I was sitting in my studio, looking at the painting to try to make sure it is finished, Dawn, from Pride and Prejudice came up on my playlist. It felt like the perfect compliment to the work, and I just sat and looked and listened there in my studio. How can I possibly explain the emotional impact? I just hope you can come and see it in person sometime, maybe at my open house or at an exhibit somewhere. 

Comments