The Gifts

The Gifts
My Bible reading lately has been in the Old Testament book of Exodus in the chapters where God was directing Moses about His tabernacle where Israel would worship Him, and giving the tablets on which He had written the ten commandments. 

Sold
8" x 8"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper

What has really been catching my attention is the completeness and beautiful detail in the tabernacle worship. I noticed that each of the five senses was part of the worship, and found myself drawn to the anointing oil for the priests and the incense. These were made by perfumers and were a particular mix of spices that was to be blended ONLY for use in worshipping God. (I think it would be another beautiful part of worship if we, also, used a fragrance in our places of worship.) One of the components of this aromatic blend was myrrh. And, of course, that reminded me of the gifts the magi brought to the Christ Child as told in the New Testament. 

Matthew 2:11 Entering the house, they saw the child with Mary His mother, and falling to their knees, they worshiped Him. Then they opened their treasures and presented Him with gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh. 

Part of getting back into the studio as I am recovering from my ankle injury has included painting smaller paintings. The smaller works allow me to sit while I paint and the practice of painting smaller works also gets me over the hump of "blank canvas syndrome" - the difficulty of putting the first marks on the canvas to start a painting. It really is true that the more I paint, the more easily the creativity flows, and the more quickly inspiration strikes. As Pablo Picasso reportedly remarked, "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."

For The Gifts, inspiration started with coating the heavy watercolor paper with gesso, and when that was dry, layering on some of my favorite transparent acrylic paints. I love the way these colors mix into new colors, and yet carry the characteristics of the original tones. As I worked, the painting began to remind me of Christmas, and the Gift God gave mankind in His Beloved Son, Jesus. I like to use my metallic or iridescent paints to suggest the presence or glory of God, and so the descending shapes are painted in brilliant interference gold and red paints. These paints change as lighting changes, and I find them to be stirring to work with. 

The red and gold tones of the painting, the shapes falling through the surface, and the sparkle of iridescence all work in this Christmas painting as reminders of fragrant worship, the coming of Immanuel and gifts of the magi, and of our celebration of His birth by giving gifts to each other. May you be inspired by God's beautiful gift this Christmas! 

Comments