Jubilee


As I started to write this blog post today for this painting, I was looking back on posts from earlier this year, and from other Christmas seasons, and I have been overwhelmed with gratitude. Once again, this has been a year with significant challenges and trials, but oh my goodness, such blessing. And so I am entering into this Christmas time full of thankfulness and celebration. 

14.5" x 14"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

 "Nice and bright on a snowy day," Mom said when I texted her a photo of this new painting. I do think this work is festive and colorful for winter, don't you? What might it remind you of? One of the ideas that comes to my mind is a cheerful cityscape at night in the winter, maybe full of Christmas shoppers, or a night parade of some kind. Maybe it's New Year's Eve. 

When I asked friends on social media what they saw, I got so many good answers. A lot of the ideas seemed to be similar, which is probably a good sign that the painting is communicating well, wouldn't you think? Many of the thoughts I gathered there centered on majesty and on celebration. I had already been thinking of Jubilee as a title, and a couple of people suggested that very word in their comments!

This work is an unusual size for me, and it started out differently, too.  I was wanting to work with squares for an exhibit I am applying for, and this painting was intended to be a square. (As it turns out, it is a little taller than it is wide, but when properly framed, it will look great.) It started out with favorite transparent colors, but quickly got very dark as they were mixing together. The colors were (and are) complex and interesting, but there was not enough in the painting as a whole to draw one in to really see the color. So my task was both to lighten the painting, and to give enough direction to the viewer's eye to guide to the color in the focal point. 

I worked by intuition as I started to lighten the colors and pull the image together, and I'm glad to see evidence that my training and study has become a natural part of my skill set. I love that the lines in the painting almost all point to the organic shapes that are the stars of this show. I also can see repetition of technique, color, and shape in each quadrant of the work. 

I find that the theme here is so similar to that of most of my paintings. There is darkness or chaos in the background, but when I work further with it, greater beauty shows up than it would have without background layers. I think this must be constantly on my mind in this way - my darkness or mistakes or messiness being brought to beauty by the hand of the Great Artist. 

Isaiah 9:6 For a child will be born for us, a son will be given to us,
and the government will be on His shoulders.
He will be named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

Luke 2:10-11 But the angel said to them, “Don’t be afraid, for look, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people: Today a Savior, who is Messiah the Lord, was born for you in the city of David. 

Comments