Hear My Cry

Hear My Cry

 My rate of releasing new paintings has slowed this autumn, and you may remember that I posted last time from a hospital. Well, actually from the guest house that was connected with the hospital where my mother was being treated. She got to go home, only to be taken back again for a few more days and more new medicine. I am absolutely delighted to tell you she is home and doing well!

12" x 12"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas



My autumn has also held some beautiful experiences, in contrast to the time in hospitals and traffic jams. Last weekend we were able to go camping for the first time in a couple of years. We only got to go for one night, and only as far as our own woods, but it was a perfect day for it, and we had delightful company there too. It is the first time I remember listening to leaves landing over my head on the canvas of the pop-up camper... I am way too wimpy for tent camping!

There were two paintings in progress when I returned to my studio, and it was such a pleasure to be able to work with and finish this one. This group of four paintings is not at all what I expected it to be, as I mentioned in another post, but I guess that is appropriate for this year of completely unforseen (by most of us humans at least) and strange circumstances. In spite of (or possibly because of) the way these works have each gone a different direction than I expected, I think they are turning out to have a special character and beauty of their own, and I hope that you might be able to see them in person somewhere along the way. 




The Scripture page that is collaged in this work is Psalm 4 & 5 where David talks about calling out to GOD and asks Him to answer. Boy, these chapters tugged on me today when I reread and listened to them. I feel like my days are constantly filled with my heart crying out to GOD, and I feel a camaraderie with David when I read what he wrote. 

Psalm 4:1 KJV "Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer."

It is difficult to see in the photo, but the colors are deep and rich, with passages of iridescence and tons of texture. There are so many layers in this painting. The focal point of the painting - the place that most draws attention - is where the collaged verses appear through the layers. The surface features different textures which serve to connect and interact with different parts of the work. Each of these things seems significant to me as it is a representation of life - deep color that sometimes reflects our Heavenly Father; texture with rough and smooth passages, scratching and shimmer reminding me of the varied experiences we are passing through; and the focal point, the most important point, is the words of GOD. He is the hope and beauty in this crazy year, and in every year. 



Comments