Come To Me

Come To Me

I am blogging from a guest house connected to a hospital, where I am staying as I wait to hear whether my loved one will be released today. The hospital locked down this morning, so I cannot visit her, but I am very thankful for the pleasant guest house. A few days ago, I got word that she was airlifted to this hospital, so I left from home right away to try to get here to see her. I was able to get here yesterday so that I could at least see her for one day before the lock-down, which is another thing I that makes me thankful!

12" x 12"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas


I have been working on a series of paintings which all include a collaged paper with a passage of scripture included. The series is not going quite in the direction I had expected as far as the painting itself is concerned, but isn’t that just about right for 2020? And, truth be told, every year …

The verse that I have accentuated in this work is Matthew 11:28 “Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” In this beautiful chapter, Jesus prays to his Father, and offers rest to the people who would listen and follow Him. The KJV uses the words “labour and are heavy laden” here.

The metallic silver tones in this painting, along with the heavy texture remind me of the idea of labor. I picture people working in steel mills or smiths shaping metals.  Machinery also comes to mind. The scratching and shadowing feel industrial. I like how the light seems to radiate from the area where the words show through. There are iridescent areas of color that are best seen in the right lighting (and in person, of course!).


I arrived at the hospital after a long drive through some congested traffic, construction zones, and long night hours on the road. I was weary and burdened with concern for my loved one. Though this work was already finished and photographed, it seems to be a good expression for this adventure that I am on. Rest in the midst of weariness and burden.

Coram Deo.

Update: As of today, my family member is home and recovering very well, I am thankful to say!

Comments