First of 2020 - New Every Morning #32

"Did you paint today?" I get this question a lot, and much of the year, I can answer "yes" almost every weekday. The practice of painting (almost) every day started almost 10 years ago for me, and when I keep at it, I learn a lot and my paintings are better and come more easily. But when I have been away for a while, (or am struggling with other issues) it can be SO VERY DIFFICULT to get back to painting abstracts - especially abstracts that I consider to be good ones!


6" x 6"
Painted with the finest quality acrylic heavy-body paint on Art Bite panel
Ready to frame

Click here to purchase via my website.

This little painting is one of my daily paintings - paintings that I complete in one day, for the most part - and it expresses some of the things I have been wrestling with. The painting is blue, to start with. I love blue, as you know if you have followed me for long. But I have been feeling the weight of many things these last few weeks in particular, and have been sad more often than I usually am. 

The background of the painting has gold and other iridescent colors, which for me is a reminder that my foundation, the first layer of my existence, is GOD, Who I often represent with iridescent paint. There are sprinkles of that iridescence on every layer, significantly.

If you look closely, you can also see arched shapes, which make me think of the church. And there are the brighter blue shapes (clouds?) with shading underneath. Does that remind you that it can be more difficult to see the Light when we are under and focusing on the 'clouds?' 

I have used a kind of mismatched composition this time, though it is similar to many of my New Every Morning paintings in composition. I also chose to use colors that are analogous, meaning they are next door neighbors on the color wheel. 


Do you see anything in this painting that speaks to you in some way? There are usually many more things on my mind as I paint, and sometimes, I am surprised what shows up in my paintings. And sometimes other people find meaning or significance that I have missed. (That is really fun, I have to say!)

So, Happy New Year, and Happy new decade! 

Lamentations 3:22-23
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end;

they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness."

Comments