No time for a walk?

I didn't have time to go for a walk this morning - much less to blog about it! But here I am. First, it is an amazingly beautiful day! It is in the upper 50s and the wind is blowing more than it usually does here in Northern Indiana, and it is SUNNY! (what?!)

Second, I had already spent a couple of hours on the computer by 9:00 this morning, and needed to get my blood flowing again before I start in on more open house prep. 

So this morning, I was struck again with the Master Artist. Oh, my goodness! I love that, whereas I use primarily one sense in my creative endeavors - sight - HE uses all five of our senses, and probably others that we cannot even imagine. 

Starting out, my eyes were drawn to all of the dry cattails leftover from last year's crop. I saw all of the vertical (moving) lines and repetition of shape and color. I noticed the subtle value changes from deep shadow to highlighted, sun touched tops. Wow. 

Then further along the trail, I noticed the movement of the water, and how the channels the water follows through this wetland have changed since I first started taking my walks here. And, of course, I listened as the water was rushing through some areas. I love that sound! 




Then as I walked through the taller trees, I heard the wind whooshing through the bare branches with a low roar. I actually stopped to listen because it was such a fulfilling sensory experience. 

I came to the place on the boardwalk where it bridges an inlet from the wetland to the lake, and as I looked over the rail into the water, I saw a turtle swimming lazily past. The water is deep, and kind of clear brown there, and it kind of took my breath away to catch sight of that turtle. He was unexpected. 

As I neared the place on the trail where I turn around to return to my car, I noticed that the fence that has always been there has been taken down. I was very surprised by how much it affected me! I felt exposed, even though the fence was chain-link (therefore not a visual barrier to the surroundings). I almost turned around before I got there, but I am glad I didn't, because God had another surprise for my sense of smell! Where a tree had been dug out, the earth was turned, and I smelled the fresh dirt. It was just so delightful! I cannot explain why at all, but I loved it. 


On my way back, I passed the ping-pong ball pods that are still hanging on the white sycamore trees, the raucous blackbirds, six white swans swimming on choppy, deep blue water, and as I neared the end of the boardwalk, I saw the cattails again. This time, though, they were backlit, and it was so cool to notice how the edges kind of glowed in the sun! 

It really was a celebration for me to get out there and walk this morning! I hope that you have a chance to get out and enjoy the multifaceted work of the Master Artist one day this week! 


Beyer Trail Landscape - 2017
P.S. I just posted this same blog post on my new website blog here. Come on over and visit!

Comments