Fixing My Eyes

Fixing my Eyes
"There should be something up front to look at that helps us contemplate Jesus," she said. My friend was visiting me after my surgery, and we had far-reaching and interesting conversations about everything from spanking children, to art, to the correct construction of arches so that the load is properly spread out. This dear friend is quite a bit older than I am, and her life has been one of adventure and world travel. I learn so much from her!

Her comment pertained to communion time at church, and the idea that it would be great to have beauty to rest our eyes on to assist in our contemplation of our Savior. Although she didn't intend to, she inspired me to work on this painting. The idea actually fit very well with something I had been thinking about since my time in the hospital. 

When I woke in the ICU and was fully alert, but unable to even open my eyes, it was a very frightening time, and I needed something to "focus" on. I knew Who I needed to concentrate on, but I struggled! Thank the Lord, my husband thought I could hear him, and he began reading to me from the Bible. What a blessing that was for me!

SOLD
24" x 30" acrylic on panel

This composition is based on the "golden section" or "golden ratio". I wanted it to feel like the place where the view is the clearest (including the focal point) was allowing glory to shine through. I wanted to show the cross and resurrection at the same time, and the hope of seeing clearly one day. I wanted to give myself a view of Jesus to fix my eyes on. Oh, I want to learn to be FULL of faith so that in the difficult times, my eyes are fixed on HIM. 

Hebrews 12:1-2 (New American Standard Bible)
"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."


Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your story and your painting concept. You have more faith than you think you do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment