Once Upon a Time

Once Upon a Time
My Beloved Husband and I like to go for meandering drives now and then – we call it vagabonding. (I think that RVers use that term for camping somewhere without any hookups, like in parking lots. We tried that once or twice when we drove an RV to Alaska several years ago, but that is a very different story.) Around here we sometimes find ourselves in Amish country, with road apples (um, horse poop, to be blunt) and kids playing outside and maybe laundry hanging on the line drying. For a long time, it was my favorite thing about Indiana. Anyway, I think we are searching for beauty or maybe adventure when we take those drives. 

36" x 24"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on canvas

 “Since it is so likely that (children) will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage. Otherwise you are making their destiny not brighter but darker.”
― C.S. Lewis

Today my mind has been on fairy tales and paintings and music. I have been thinking that sometimes through the arts, we catch a small glimpse of what is more real than the world we live in – we see just a wisp of eternity. I think this is what I love about the writings of authors like C. S. Lewis, Tolkien, and Chesterton. It is what I love in music of Grieg, Bach and Johnny Cash, and in paintings by artists as diverse as Dali, Van Gogh, and Henry Tanner. And it reminds me of many parables found in the Bible, both in the Old Testament and in Jesus’ teaching in the New Testament.

As I talked to my friend ELH, I asked her what she saw in this painting. She seemed to see it with eyes that seek beauty and adventure. I loved hearing her muse over what she was seeing. I felt more creative and intrigued by my own painting after our discussion. I find myself hoping that this work will strike you with just a little bit of wanderlust or wonder. May it make you just a little homesick for eternity with Jesus!

John 17: 24- 26 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, so that they will see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the world’s foundation. Righteous Father, the world has not known you. However, I have known you, and they have known that you sent me. I made your name known to them and will continue to make it known, so that the love you have loved me with may be in them and I may be in them.”

Comments