Deep Blue

Deep Blue

 This gleaming little blue painting surprised me by being finished before I expected it to be. I was really enjoying working with layers of interference paints under and on top of layers of acrylic glazing, because there seems to be a deeper feel to the surface when I use those layers. It is almost as if I can look through the canvas into a place beyond the surface where the light is reflected and refracted in different colors. It reminds me of being in our woods in the twilight. 

I haven't been to our woods in the twilight OR in the daylight much recently. One of the reasons is that we have had torrential rain and some thunderstorms in the last couple of days. You know how much I love the rain! I have enjoyed doing my work near the windows in our home so I can watch and listen. The rain seems to have shown up in this one, too, doesn't it? 


$72 plus shipping and handling
6" x 6"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black

It can be a little bit scary to be in the woods in the dark. Have you ever tried that? The paths look different, and somehow not knowing which wildlife is watching me from the underbrush seems quite a bit more *ahem* adventuresome in the dark. I know which way to go to get home, or to our camper, but I cannot see every step ahead of me like I can in the daytime. There is unusual beauty, but also a little uneasiness. I feel like I don't really know what I am seeing. 

So I am not sure how to wrap up my blog post today. I am daily aware of how much I need the peace, comfort, and step-by-step guidance from my loving Heavenly Father as I am exploring this darkened world. I love the unexpected flashes and gleams of beauty I find, from the rain on my windows to the people I am interacting with along my way. And I am surprised by the chances I have to be watched from the undergrowth, so to speak - the ways my art speaks even when I am not aware of any audience. I was reminded of this when a friend interacted with me about this painting on social media. She saw meaning here, and it reminded her of a verse from the Bible that has long been a favorite of mine. I feel like maybe it expresses a lot of my thoughts that show up on this canvas. 


Psalm 4:8
I will both lie down and sleep in peace,
for You alone, Lord, make me live in safety.

Comments