Begin Again (Finnegan)

Begin Again (Finnegan)
Do you remember the nursery rhyme that included "poor old Michael Finnegan, begin again"? That little ditty was going through my mind as I worked on giving this painting a title. (I considered calling it Finnegan Begin Again. Would that be a better title?)

One reason for the title Begin Again is that this painting represents me REALLY getting back to painting abstract studio paintings after too long away. "Poor old Brenda Finnegan begin again"! 😊 Except, of course, it doesn't quite fit since I am so delighted to be back at it!

$1250 plus shipping and handling
36" x 36"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black

Begin Again started out with a different focus, though. This Bible focus represented a new start for the Israelites in the Old Testament, like the painting represents a new start for me.  Here is the passage I had in mind when I started with this painting. Exodus 12:41-42 At the end of 430 years, on that same day, all the Lord’s divisions went out from the land of Egypt. It was a night of vigil in honor of the Lord, because He would bring them out of the land of Egypt. This same night is in honor of the Lord, a night vigil for all the Israelites throughout their generations. Now the painting has a whole new feeling and meaning, but this is where it started. Vigil, honor, festival and celebration for freedom from slavery. 

Begin Again (Finnegan) from a 
different angle showing gold marks
At one point, you could clearly see what looked like a map with disconnected 'places' scattered all over the canvas. I thought of the Israelites wandering through the wilderness, following God's leading which appeared in a cloud or a pillar of fire. Those marks still show on the finished work, but they are drawn together by lines and color glazing over much of the surface. Again, I hope the painting speaks more than my blog post does.  


I know you have heard me say this before, but it is so difficult to get a good photo of this painting! However, the SUN WAS OUT today, so I took it outside to try to get some good shots. It was c-c-c-cold, but I was loving the sunshine. 

Psalm 119:135
Make Your face shine upon Your servant, And teach me Your statutes.

Comments