Rest

Rest
 For my first post of 2023, I am sharing a peaceful little painting that has come about as I am working on a larger one. As I often do, I have been practicing some techniques and colors on smaller substrates to see how they will work when I apply them to the bigger works. 
The thing I love about this process is that often my best, most "free" looking works come from these pieces. I suspect it is because I view them as practice, and expect to paint over them, or else discard them. They are usually painted in an unhurried, non-stress way, too. No wonder they bring me joy!

$72
6" x 6"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame


I haven't signed this little piece yet, because I like it turned in several ways. Do you have a favorite? I love purple and green in combination, and always have. Many of my favorite spring flowers are purple on bright green foliage. I can almost imagine a sunset or sunrise reflecting in a pond, too. I would choose sunrise - would you? It also reminds me of an aerial view of a lake. You might remember how much I love flying! 

There is interference paint used in the blue and purple area of the painting that shows up in good lighting. I find the surprise of sparkle in the painting to be delightful. 


Leviticus 20:26
 You are to be holy to me because I, the Lord, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be mine.

I recently restarted reading through the Bible from the beginning, and I am currently reading in Leviticus, an Old Testament book where God gives His chosen people His expectations for how they should live together. I have been very struck with how kind and gracious He is, even in this "rules" section of the Bible. I find deep rest in the words "you are to be holy because I am holy..." Clearly they (and I) couldn't be holy on their own, and so He, in His love and holiness, chose them, set them apart, and provided for their need to be holy. 

Well, as I try to put these thoughts into words, I realize my words probably don't communicate very well. My hope is that the painting speaks better for me! 

Comments