Raspberried

 You might have heard of the crazy weather that went through this part of the world Monday evening. In Fort Wayne, IN, the wind was clocked at 98 mph as a storm passed through, and it was not a tornado. Right at our home, we had no damage, but our son had a neighbor's tree down on his roof right over his bedroom! And there are still people without electricity in the heat wave we are currently experiencing. Wow.  

12" x 12"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted 

Can you tell that I wanted to try working with very thick paint on this piece? I started out with a strong diagonal composition, and began applying color to the entire canvas. But, as often happens, the painting seemed to want to head in a different direction than I had originally intended. I was actually planning for it to be primarily a yellow painting! 

One of my favorite things about painting abstract work is the way I can follow the painting, in a sense. When it seemed that the color was not going in the direction I had planned, I enjoyed working with what I was seeing on the canvas. I was stumped more than once, I have to say. The color palette is not one that I use frequently, and I had to really work through some of the possibilities before I found my way. Almost every color on the canvas is mixed with a raspberry colored paint that I like, but find tough to work with. I had fun seeing what colors would result from mixing it with other colors for this piece. I can imagine this raspberry painting looking great in a kitchen or dining room, can't you? 

The gray-black parts of the painting (including the sides) are painted with micaceous oxide paint, which has the tiny flecks of sparkle, presumably coming from the mica in the pigment. 

I hope you are having a beautiful summer!

Comments