Mystery

Mystery

 Dense fog advisory. That is the notice on my weather app the last few days, and that fog brings its own unique beauty. Especially in early morning, the air is a lovely pastel color - maybe pink or peach, or recently even lavender - and landscapes that are otherwise well known to me take on a whisper of the unknown. 

6" x 6"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black

Starting with a heavily textured 6" square canvas, I layered in the background colors of anthraquinone blue and quinacridone magenta. I then began to use a negative painting technique to pull out the trees from the background by painting the lighter colored "air" around the trees. It required a lot of concentration to leave the darkest darks in places where I wanted to keep the boldest part of the painting. I wanted to keep the mysterious landscape, yet show the coming sunrise through the fog. 

My Bible reading lately has taken me to the New Testament book Colossians, and for the last several days, I have read the entire book at a time, several times reading it aloud. It has helped me to recognize some of the author's perspective to read the whole thing in one sitting, and to think about his main message to this particular audience. It is intriguing to me to imagine Paul sitting in jail sending this message to people he didn't know. He recognizes and emphasizes the lifechanging impact of their having chosen to follow Jesus Christ. Of course, I can only imagine what it must have been like for those people, and the picture in my mind's eye is "foggy" at best!

The part of this book that has stopped me each time I have read it is this. 
Colossians 1:26-27  ... the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints, to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
The only way I know to explain how I have felt impacted is to say that I am so glad that I have hope because of Jesus Christ. 

Comments