Freedom

Freedom

 "Tell me about the painting." This was one of the responses from my 'preview team' - people to whom I text photos of my work, especially when I am really excited about it, or when I need input. I was surprised to find that it was difficult to use words with this one. So pull up a chair and grab a glass of lemonade; this might take a few minutes. 

Work started in earnest on this painting during the weekend surrounding Independence Day. I had already begun putting some paint on the canvas, and I saw what I wanted to do next with it (during the time my Beloved Husband was called away during the holiday.) Of course, the idea of freedom was part of my thoughts and celebration for July 4th here in the USA. 

I had two phrases in mind at the beginning. One, Freedom Isn't Free, was indicated by the strong red color at the top of the canvas, with drips coming almost all the way to the bottom. I thought of those who have fought for freedom for the USA, yes, but also about freedom that has been purchased by Jesus' blood.

 The second phrase is from Galatians 5:1 It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. I kept thinking about "It is for freedom that Christ has set me free." Another dear friend and I have been in conversation lately about freedom from sin. Not only the freedom to go to heaven, but also the freedom from sinful actions and thoughts. 


40" x 30"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas

The colors in this painting are so rich and complex in places, and they "play well" together. I love the way the white focal point brings out the strong color combinations. I love the textures, though this painting is not as heaving textured as many of my works. 

The photo of the painting looks summery, but in real life, the colors are so much stronger. The drips are, of course, intentional. The reddish color paint is an Australian paint that I had tried once several years ago. It has some unique characteristics, and I was enjoying working with it. (Also, it was very expensive!) 

Cropped view showing
the focal point
Often when I am working on paintings, I will turn them around and upside down to see which way I find more appealing. This one seemed to want to stay right-side-up the whole time. The colors came almost by themselves, too. (I sure wish you could see them in real life.) It was almost as if the painting itself was declaring freedom - in an odd way. I loved pulling it all together into a composition where all of the parts work together. I loved adding the white focal point which really accented the variety of colors. I just find so much joy and fun in the painting. It feels like a celebration!

Oh, there is so much more! But as I mentioned, I find it so difficult to put it into words. I really want the painting to speak for itself, and to speak to you. Do you hear it saying FREEDOM? 

Comments