I Wish

I Wish
 "There was so much traffic," I said to my Beloved Husband. "I was in a row of about 9 or 10 trucks, and I would pass them at the light and they would go around me at the next downhill section of highway." We talked about how much quieter the road had been during the lock-down here in northern Indiana. 

6" x 6"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight  watercolor paper
Ready to frame

I have a good friend who I have never met. She found me on Instagram, and we have found that we have a lot in common. She lives in another part of the world, and they have new, increasing restrictions, as many places do. I wish it weren't that way, but the fierceness of the pandemic is intensifying in many places, as you no doubt know.  

As I posted this little painting today, my thought was "I wish the photos would show how beautiful these colors are, but they just don't compare." In the painting, I see hints of gathering storm, but the iridescent symbols remind me of my Heavenly Father. It feels a little bit like a landscape, but feels "other". 

I was just thinking how the wishful feeling and the hidden beauties go together so often. I wish my friend were not still locked down, but the hidden beauties of the lock-down time for me included less traffic, a slower pace of living, and better focus on the things that were most important. 

I wish my camera could capture the depth of colors in this work, but the beauty of it will really have special impact when it is finally seen in real life. 

There are two passages from the New Testament that come to my mind as I think about this, and I am not sure whether the connection is clear. (Maybe not even to me!) But here they are:

Romans 8:18- 19 NASB For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. 

1 John 3:1-3 HCSB Look at how great a love the Father has given us that we should be called God’s children. And we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it didn’t know Him. Dear friends, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him because we will see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself just as He is pure.

Comments