Snowy White

Snowy White

 I have started a small Christmas series of paintings which so far includes A Lump of Coal and Christmas Red.  Today's addition is Snowy White. 

Several years ago, while I was homeschooling my kids, we started looking into photos of snowflakes taken under microscopes. Have you ever seen those photos? You should definitely google these images of incredible beauty and diversity! I am not one who would claim to love the snow, but I am always - or at least almost always - enthralled by its beauty! (It is a lot tougher to focus on the beauty of snow when travel is being hampered, I have to say...) 

Part of the Wordless Book piece
5 each  7" x 5" paintings mounted and framed
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper


In this collection of paintings about the story of Christmas / mankind, the white painting represents cleanness - the innocence that is available through the sacrifice of Jesus which paid for our sin. I chose to use a horizontal composition, though it is difficult to see in the photo, to represent the peaceful feeling of innocence. This painting is very rich with texture and iridescence, reminding me of the beauty seen in snowflake photographs. And that brings to my mind the beauty and peace of innocence before GOD through Jesus' gift. 


A couple of passages from the Bible that tie in with this are 
Isaiah 1:18 “Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord:
though your sins are like scarlet,
    they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red like crimson,
    they shall become like wool."

Psalm 51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
    wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

2 Corinthians 5:17 & 21  Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 
21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Comments