All That Glitters

All That Glitters

It is said that 'All that glitters is not gold', and it seems that this saying in various forms has been around for a very long time, even predating Shakespeare. Certainly our Christmas celebrations are a good illustration of that point! I love the gold ornaments, beads, garlands and lights of Christmas decorations, and I recognize the tie to the gifts that were given to the Christ Child by the Magi - gold, frankincense, and myrrh. In fact, I think I would like to bring in more of these three elements as part of my Christmas decorating. (Though I am not sure what frankincense smells like - I wonder whether we would like it!)

Part of the Wordless Book piece
5 each  7" x 5" paintings mounted and framed
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper


In the story of the saving of humanity, that people began to see at the first Christmas, the color gold represents eternity with God. As you know if you have followed me for any length of time, I like to use iridescence - particularly gold - to represent Him. In the Old Testament, God was worshipped in the tabernacle and the temple, and gold was the material used in much of the furnishing and building of these structures. In the New Testament, there is reference to gold streets in heaven, and an entire city of gold in the book of Revelation. And gold is often offered to worship Him, as it was when it was brought by the Magi. 

I chose a composition that radiates out from a focal point, spreading to every part of the painting to emphasize the way that God's presence and influence impacts every part of life. The texture and 'glitter' are expressions of depth and complexity. 


A couple of passages that make me look forward very much to the time when I will see Him face to face are these: 
Revelation 21:18-21 The material of the wall was jasper; and the city was pure gold, like clear glass. The foundation stones of the city wall were adorned with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation stone was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, chalcedony; the fourth, emerald; the fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, topaz; the tenth, chrysoprase; the eleventh, jacinth; the twelfth, amethyst. And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; each one of the gates was a single pearl. And the street of the city was pure gold, like transparent glass.

John 14:1-3 “Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. 

I think that it sounds amazingly beautiful, but even more, I am so excited to be in His presence! Oh, how beautiful that will be!

Comments