Winding Down

Winding Down
 
Somehow, it just doesn't seem like it could be autumn yet! We were just talking this morning about how thankful I was that the lock-down started in the spring, because I felt like it would be just too discouraging during the gray, bleak winter. And here we are, almost to autumn!

20" x 16"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

One of the things I especially love about early autumn is that we get to celebrate my daughter's birthday! With that in mind, I would like to share a comment she posted on one of my pieces. It is a good example of her thoughts and writing. (You may be getting a little bit overloaded with my kids these days, but I love who they have become as adults, and think they have great things to share.)

"I love that beauty is valuable precisely because it's disposable and frivolous...

In a similar vein, how much beauty does God have, that He designs SO MUCH beauty that is gone in an instant - or that will never be seen by human eyes? Think of all the individual flowers, leaves, bugs, animals... that will never be interacted with by mankind - and yet God lavishly pours them full of beauty until they overflow. Simply because He can and He delights to. They exist "in their own little world", unaffected by the cares we carry, concerned only with being what God made them to be. We find ourselves tempted to view them as disposable or pointless, especially because mankind won't interact with them, yet they exist declaring His beauty and goodness for His glory and pleasure.

And yet, somehow, we still manage from time to time to think all of this is about us."

Do these thoughts remind you of this part of Jesus' teachings? Luke 12:27-31 “Consider how the wildflowers grow: They don’t labor or spin thread. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was adorned like one of these! If that’s how God clothes the grass, which is in the field today and is thrown into the furnace tomorrow, how much more will He do for you—you of little faith? Don’t keep striving for what you should eat and what you should drink, and don’t be anxious. For the Gentile world eagerly seeks all these things, and your Father knows that you need them.
But seek His kingdom, and these things will be provided for you."


The whole image was in my mind when I started working on this painting, but, of course, the finished piece looks different from what I had imagined. Though I do not remember exactly what was on my mind the day I started it, I do know that it has the feeling of summer winding down. I love how the cool and warm tones interact with each other here. I love that the painting 'reads' in a way that expresses a change. I think I can feel the warmth changing into cooler days (which I love.)

Throughout the lock-down time, I have struggled with 'blue' attitudes, and have made conscious, active decisions to thank my Heavenly Father for the blessings I am enjoying right now - right at this minute. The beautiful blue of the sky, and the start of the leaves changing; a computer and a studio that I can use; a comfortable home and plenty to meet our needs; family that loves GOD and each other - the list can get VERY long. And that is the way I deal with the painful thoughts that keep intruding as this summer winds down. In a way, I am considering the wildflowers - the beautiful ways in which my Heavenly Father meets my unseen needs. And wants. 

Coram Deo.

Comments