Reading Great Books

Reading Great Books
This is a jewel of a painting! I cannot even describe the textures, depth of the colors, whispered shimmer and shine.

SOLD
5" x 5"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Click here to view on my website.

I finished a C.S.Lewis book yesterday called Surprised By Joy. I thought I had read it before, but it sure felt new to me this time through. I love having things to think through, and new references to authors and concepts that I can learn about, and this book was packed with those things. Along with the new 'clues' to follow, I found references to many of my favorite authors. One of those is George MacDonald, an old Scottish author who I first read when I was in college. (My first introduction to his work was The Fisherman's Lady, edited by Michael R Phillips, and I highly recommend this book. It has elements that were surprising to me at the time, and I saw such humility and holiness in the main character, Malcolm.)


 Alternating 'serious' books with novels, I started The Curate's Awakening, by MacDonald today. This time through, I started by reading the Introduction, which is something I never did as a young adult. In the first paragraph, I highlighted "[a novel] which adds a forceful and radiant brushstroke to the image of Christ he sought to present to the world." How delightful to find a reference to painting here! MacDonald is not for the faint of heart, certainly, but he is another author who gives much to think about.

The dark values in this painting are very dark, but they are the deepest and most intriguing part of the work. Without the dark parts, the gold iridescent paint would be so much less interesting - maybe even boring or gaudy. But the combination is interesting and it keeps me coming back to look at it again and again.

It reminds me a little bit of really great books. 

Comments