Wild & Sweet

Wild & Sweet
"Ouch! Tough love!" That is the way I started an email to a friend and art mentor today, after telling him what a struggle it has been to get back into abstraction. I know people don’t get this, but man! it is so much harder to paint abstract paintings than it is to do paintings that are ‘recognizable’. 

So I have been ‘fighting’ with a very large painting since Thanksgiving, and doing the sweet little 6” x 6” representational works in the pauses. Part of what has made painting the large abstract difficult is the deep view of Christmas that I have been looking at this year. I referenced it earlier when I shared the metal version of O Come Emmanuel. I have been so aware this year of the raging war for humanity that is beyond our physical sight. The war that was won with the coming of Emmanuel, God with us. Though the ultimate battle is won, the skirmishes still continue for each human soul, and it is dark and it is wild. Or maybe, wild and sweet. 

SOLD
11" x 14"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Includes interference colors and natural mica flakes
Ready to frame

Click here to view on my website.

As I worked on this piece, hoping to be able to come up with something abstract that I like, I thought about how to communicate both the battle, but also the ultimate victory. I wanted to also bring in today’s celebration of Christmas, not just the nativity scene of the past. I thought about the Christmas song I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, and learned that it was written from a poem by H. W. Longfellow. He wrote the song during the Civil War in the United States in circumstances of personal tragedy. 

So I thought it was fitting to take a phrase from his poem and the carol we know for the title of this painting. It is somewhat reminiscent of church bell towers, and is dark and wild. And wild and sweet. I hope that you can see both the depth, and also the sweet victory in this painting. 

Luke 2:14  (ESV) “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”

Isaiah 9:2 "The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone."

Comments