In Focus

In Focus
I finally got to go back into our woods for a walk today. Between extra wet weather, traveling, and other factors, I have hardly been back there at all this year. And I have missed it. One thing that I noticed as I climbed over and through fallen branches and pushed brambles back off the path was that it felt like I couldn’t SEE anything. I don’t think it was my (ahem) bifocals, though they could be a factor. I think it felt so unfamiliar that I couldn’t really see the textures, the prints from animals, and my favorite plants.  I had to focus on the trail, and on staying out of poison ivy, and on getting over fallen timber.

Walking on the boardwalk in our town has felt kind of the same way this fall. I have fewer obstacles, but I still feel like I cannot SEE where I am walking. A few times, I have been deeply troubled as I walk, and of course, that makes me almost blind to my surroundings. I “see” the headlines, or personal situations instead of the beauty surrounding me.

Could that be a lifestyle with us, I wonder? I mean, we are inundated with information from many sources – from news headlines to gas gauges to facebook feeds to calorie counts to weather channel to magazines at the grocery store checkout. Can we really SEE? My personal tendency is to spend more and more time in my studio with only music (if any noise) and paint … but I am not sure that is a complete solution. Especially not for those who are more gregarious than I am.

One thing that helps me, of course, is to fill my mind with truth and beauty before I encounter all the rest. I am not always very good at putting that first, but if I do, I find that it helps my thoughts have a solid place to stand, so to speak.  And the only source I know of where I am absolutely guaranteed to find truth and beauty is in God’s Word, the Bible. Every single other source will fail me on a semi-regular basis, but His Word is unfailing.

Philippians 4:8 (HCSB) “Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise—dwell on these things.”

This little painting has so much going on, and the painting came about quickly after I had struggled through another painting during the painting challenge I just finished. It was just fun to paint this one, and I love the result! I love the texture of the paint, the print of the tools I used, and my favorite colors showing up. After having to focus so diligently on the composition and color and structure of the other work, it was pure joy to paint this one!

SOLD6" x 6"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on hand-made, prepared wood panel
Ready to frame

Comments

  1. I like the way you've combed through the top layer to show the colors underneath.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment