I Love Being An Artist study

I Love Being an Artist study
"It's embarrassing, really," I thought to myself as I uploaded this little landscape study today. Yesterday I was looking at my Instagram feed, and noticed another artist working with her Pantone book to plan colors for her next pieces. Why have I never thought to use my Pantone book (a throwback to my commercial artist days) for my color research?

SOLD

6" x 6" (technically 5.875" x 6.5")

Painted with acrylic heavy-body paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper

Ready to frame




Almost every part of being an artist is 'my favorite'. (Not marketing, so much, or taxes, or loading up after a show... but everything else!) I really love the research part, whether it be searching for composition, technique, or color theory. I have four color wheels in my studio that I use when I paint, and they cover different color theories. I love to try to figure out how the theory feels, and which one works for which painting. 

This study was primarily painted with washes using a CMYK color theory wheel. The trusty "rule of thirds" composition with diagonal movement seemed interesting to me for today. I really love the cheerful feel of this piece. It reminds me that I love being an artist!

Comments