The Weary World Rejoices

The Weary World Rejoices
 These three Christmas paintings started out with a gold background and then words from Hebrews 1:3 And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high . From the very beginning, I wanted to use color and the quality of the paint to communicate, so I chose my palette carefully and started slowly building layer after layer. 

Of course, I chose a metallic, iridescent gold paint as the first layer, representing God, as I often do. Next, I really enjoyed manipulating the different letters in the verse layer to try to make the lettering "font" express meaning, even though this part of the painting is not seen. It is very easy to lose focus or direction in the midst of painting, but by building layer by layer with the concept at the forefront of my planning, I "trust the process" for several layers. 

$100.00 plus shipping and handling
7.2" x 7.2" (one of three coordinating works)
Painted with the finest quality acrylic heavy-body paint on hand-made, prepared wood panel, rounded corners
Click here to view or purchase on my website.

Once I had a very full, busy layer, I began to start to bring some unity to the design by introducing highlight and shadow, thus causing a feeling of light. By adding the first of the interference colors which refract ambient light in different ways, depending where the viewer is in relationship to the painting, and also on the value of the color behind the interference layer, I suggested mystery and story. 

Also present in every layer is the metallic gold paint that was used in the very first layer. I like how it adds depth and character to the colors that build and interact with the gold, and I like the concept of our Heavenly Father being present in every part of our lives. In some places, I chose to let this gold play a starring role and come to the forefront, and in some, it adds quiet luster to the colors I used. 

The darkest paint was drybrushed across the paintings and forms what almost appears to be a rough wood exterior where the arches then seem to create windows or doorway openings into brightness behind the surface. It was tricky to make each arch different while still using exactly the same shape each time. I wanted to give hints of three dimensions, but not paint in such a way that it was easy to see three dimensional objects or buildings. I wanted the viewer's imagination to go to that Holy Night. 


The Weary World Rejoices

Comments