Open Studio was a success!

Sold at Open Studio
 It has been a week and a half since my open studio, and I think I am still in recovery mode! I still have my art on display throughout the house - which is not unusual, but it is neater than usual and still has the tags hanging with it - but I have managed to put away a lot of the extras, like the "fancy" disposable dishes and the hand painted ornaments that I offered for sale. 

This year my gift to everyone who came to my event was the opportunity to purchase a representational painting at whatever price they could/wanted to spend. It was a delight to sell several of these paintings, and even some at my regular price! 

Since that weekend, I have managed to paint two representational paintings, one en plein air, and one from inside my front door (my dear daughter suggested it must be called en fancy air) because of cold and wet weather. I have not yet released these paintings on my website, because time has just passed me by too quickly! 

This red painting of a swamp oak in springtime is a reminder to me of how quickly time passes, since this once tiny sapling that we transplanted is now a tree of 25' tall or more. It has been catching my attention this early spring, and I wanted to paint it before the leaves began budding, but I missed it! So I chose to add some pizzazz by using a Golden Acrylics medium that carries large pieces of mica which sparkle when the light hits them to indicate the budding leaves. The background of this painting is a deep, rich red with a metallic gold wash over part of the surface. The tree is painted in a metallic gold paint. 

$48.00
6" x 4"
Painted with the finest quality acrylic heavy-body paint and natural mica medium on cradled wood panel

Actually both of my most recent paintings feature trees in the spring, but I have not yet had the chance to paint my very favorite spring tree, the Eastern Redbud. Those trees just take my breath away in the springtime with their purple-magenta blossoms all along each branch. Of course, their blooming season is short, so I had better hurry if I want to catch them! 

We have been spending a lot of time both working with our daughter on her home, and putting in extra time at my Beloved Husband's work place. (My son's heavier than usual work schedule means we don't see much of him, though.) Though it sometimes cuts my painting time short, I love the time spent with my family, and this Old Testament blessing feels appropriate when I think of each one of them. 

Numbers 6:24-26
“May the Lord bless you and protect you;
may the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you;
may the Lord look with favor on you and give you peace.”’

And before I close, here is a sneak peek of the magnolia tree that I painted en plein air, and it will probably be available on my website by the time you read this post! 

$215.00
12" x 9"
Painted with the finest quality acrylic heavy-body paint on panel
Ready to frame





Comments