Bright Hope

This morning I was up a little before my usual time, and I decided to read from my Dad's Bible for my quiet time. As I opened the pages, I found several pages of notes that he wrote, probably in preparation for teaching a Sunday School class. It felt strange to have Dad's thoughts being so 'alive' in my hand, when he has been gone for so long. (Dad passed away in 2000.) I love it that I have his Bible and notes. His hand moved across that page writing those notes, just as I had seen many times as I was growing up. His thoughts written there reminded me of adult Sunday School classes that I had attended when he was the teacher. It was almost as if time folded back on itself for a little while this morning. 

48" x 18"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.8” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black

You might notice my 'signature' use of three interlocking circles in this work, if you look carefully. As always, they signify my total dependence on God, and also they reference the Trinity. In several areas the texture and color from earlier layers shows through, and I love how it shapes the final work. Lately I have wanted 'quiet' paintings, but I find that when I am working on one, the colors and textures just want to be expressed!  

When I started this painting, I had a verse that I put into my own words to start the canvas, and now I cannot find the one I was referencing. I sure wish I could. I know that similar thoughts can be found in 1 Peter and Ephesians where I learn that I will be 'to the praise of His glory', and I will be 'like Him for we shall see Him as He is'. (I John 3:2) This concept blows me away, but it also gives me such bright hope. 

1 Peter 1:5-9 You are being protected by God’s power through faith for a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. You rejoice in this, though now for a short time you have had to struggle in various trials so that the genuineness of your faith—more valuable than gold, which perishes though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.  You love Him, though you have not seen Him. And though not seeing Him now, you believe in Him and rejoice with inexpressible and glorious joy, because you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

Ephesians 2:4 - 7 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love that He had for us, made us alive with the Messiah even though we were dead in trespasses. You are saved by grace! Together with Christ Jesus He also raised us up and seated us in the heavens, so that in the coming ages He might display the immeasurable riches of His grace through His kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 

 I am so struck with how the concept in this painting - as in so many of my others - is that God will bring beauty out of chaos, glory out of messiness. I have felt drawn to this concept over and over lately in my Bible reading, and I have found myself painting it frequently. It is breathtaking to me that He might be (is) doing that with me! My messiness, chaos, sin - He is making something of me to the praise of His glory! 
 


Comments