Happy Yellow Accident

Happy Yellow Accident
"Well, Mom, there is ONE more surprise...", I told her as I turned west instead of continuing toward the south. My brother and sister-in-law, along with my niece and some friends threw a HUGE surprise birthday party for my mom! And it was actually a surprise, I am delighted to say. We worked together from Utah, Minnesota, and Indiana to pull things together, so it was no small thing. 

Anyway, Mom's party was a week and a half ago, and I am still using it as my excuse for being behind with my work! *wink* I try to paint at least three days a week, and preferably five days, and I have not gotten as much painting in as I like to. BUT, it was so worth it.



NLA
12" x 12"
Painted with the finest quality acrylic heavy-body paint on canvas panel
Ready to frame

This cheerful painting is painted over another work that just didn't cut it. Actually, there are a lot of those, but the great thing is, they eventually turn into some of my favorites when I have repainted over them enough times. The underlying struggles actually help define what I paint on the new work. In this one, the brightness, the underlying mark making, and especially the brilliant pink are so expressive! I think it just has to do with spending time in the studio, and relaxing into the joy of painting. 

I have actually been in the studio in the last week. I have been working on several projects, and one of them had me working on painting a yellow painting. Yellow has not been kind to me in the past. I have very few paintings that are mostly yellow that I am happy with! I LIKE yellow, and even used to think it was my favorite color, but I have just really struggled to make something that I am happy with when yellow is the main color. 

To me, yellow is the first color that comes to mind when I think of "happy". You too? So as I have been working on a theme of "joy", I naturally have started with yellow in mind. 

This morning, in my Bible reading, Mark 13 in the New Testament was next for me to read. In this chapter, Jesus tells his disciples of upcoming persecution. It was so difficult for me to read, because it brought to mind the many people on earth now that are suffering because they are Jesus' followers. Yet, over and over, Jesus told them not to be anxious or frightened because He would be near. Next I turned to the book of 2 Corinthians, and saw highlighted in my Bible the word "comfort" several times. "Ah!" I thought to myself. "What a relief!" Except, this chapter was also talking about persecution - and being comforted in spite of it! Wow. 

So as I face difficulties, as I struggle with my own not-very-tough-after-all situations, I choose to be comforted  by spending time with my Heavenly Father. When I relax into His nearness, He brings about such relief  - such joy. 

2 Corinthians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort


Comments