When the Morning Stars Sang

When the Morning Stars Sang
Update: There are two things that I need to tell you in the days since this painting was first released. First, I don't think you can still zoom way out on Google maps and see the world like you could when we were looking at it on our couch that day.
Second, there are a couple of repairs on this painting, and let me tell you about them. (You cannot see the repairs without really searching for them.) The first one is a repair of a hole in the front of the painting. It happened within days of painting it, and at that time, I was SO disappointed! However, I mentioned the 'injury' to an elder at the church where we attend, and he said, "It isn't a painting about creation, is it? Because if it is, damage, and then repair is very fitting." Wow! That made such a difference to me, because yes, it IS about creation!
The second scar is on the edge of the canvas, and happened from the many travels this work has been on. Again, you cannot see the repair without really searching for it, and if the work is framed, it will not show at all.


"Have I ever shown you this on Google Maps before?" asked my Beloved Husband. "If you zoom way out, you can see the stars and the milky way, and even the sun!" He and I were (as is our usual morning routine) on the couch with our coffee going over schedules, prayer requests, and general conversation. I was really struck with how there is no 'right side up' when I am looking at the image of the earth hanging in space. No poles, no lines of latitude and longitude, and no oval orbit paths. Just a sphere. You can navigate all the way around the sphere on the map, and if you didn't know what you were looking at, there would be no way of picking up what the order, boundaries, and patterns are for this planet. 


48" x 48" painted with the finest quality heavy-body 
acrylic paint on 1.5" deep canvas

Available on my website here. 

The painting is done with several shades of blue, and I have used composite gold leaf on part of the work, too. To me, gold leaf - or any shiny or iridescent color - often represents GOD. The squares are laid out at an angle which reminds me that the framework and direction of our world are completely decided by the Creator. There may not be a grid that I can find in outer space, but HE has made one and established this little planet on it. 

I was especially caught up with the map my husband was showing me because of this large painting I have been working on. The theme behind this work is from the Old Testament book of Job, where GOD answers all of the questions and arguments that have been put forth by Job and his friends by saying, in essence, who do you think you are? Where were you when I created all of this? 

Chapters 38 - 40 of this book are full of breathtaking poetry that just begs to be heard and seen. Here are a few examples from these chapters:
38:4-7 "“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
    Tell me, if you have understanding.
Who determined its measurements—surely you know!
    Or who stretched the line upon it?
On what were its bases sunk,
    or who laid its cornerstone,
when the morning stars sang together
and all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

38:16 - 18 "Have you traveled to the sources of the sea
or walked in the depths of the oceans?
Have the gates of death been revealed to you?
Have you seen the gates of deep darkness?
Have you comprehended the extent of the earth?
Tell Me, if you know all this."

38:19-20 "“Where is the way to the dwelling of light?
And darkness, where is its place,
That you may take it to its territory
And that you may discern the paths to its home?"

39:26-27 "Does the hawk take flight by your understanding
and spread its wings to the south?
Does the eagle soar at your command and make its nest on high?"

40:1-4 "The Lord answered Job:
Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct Him?
Let him who argues with God give an answer.
Then Job answered the Lord:
I am so insignificant. How can I answer You?
I place my hand over my mouth."

Accepted in the 2017 SALI National Abstract Exhibit

Comments