Gomer's Wilderness (now revised)

Gomer's Wilderness
"Which comes first, the inspiration or the painting?" This is probably the most common question I get when people talk to me about my paintings, and it is not always easy to answer. I am not sure how to explain exactly when the inspiration kicks in on some paintings, but on some, the concept is there before I even choose what size my painting will be.  

Today's painting is one where the concept 'sneaked up on me'. I think that once in a while the subconscious thoughts on my mind just start to present themselves on my canvas. 

I have been reading in the Old Testament for quite a few months now. (I like to read through the Bible in order, and then return and start over from the beginning when I finish.) I reached the remarkable story of Hosea and Gomer, and I was struck with a particular verse. GOD was using the relationship of the prophet, Hosea, and his promiscuous wife, Gomer to illustrate GOD's relationship with His people, Israel, who continually turned away from Him to worship idols. In this verse, GOD says He will take Israel back yet again, and charm her away from false loves that harm her. 

Hosea 2:14 “Therefore, behold, I will allure her,
    and bring her into the wilderness,
and speak tenderly to her."

Could it be that the current struggle I have been slogging through (medical issues) could be something He is using to wean me from something that is not helpful to me? These thoughts were in the back of my mind as I started to rework an old, failed painting. 

I love the colors in this one, and I like the landscape-y feel. The gold leaf represents the presence of GOD, in my mind. It feels lush and growing, yet a bit unsteady - unfamiliar - like being in a wilderness might feel. Though I am not sure I could say "The concept came first" with this piece, I suspect that my thoughts painted themselves through my eyes and brush anyway!

Comments